Monday, October 11, 2010

Day One- Step one to Simple




Day One. Two words that are loaded with expectations, excitement, hope and a whole bunch of other feelings. Day one is the day where everyone has all the confidence in the world and the best of intentions. And then comes Day Two. And Seven. And soon Day One is the day you have to label either a failure, a false start, or a practice run. This is my attempt at creating some lasting change after trying a whole bunch of different ways of attempting a simpler life (that didn't really work!).

This is Day One of my blog. I've blogged before (about drawing and art) and it's been awhile since I've done it actively. Mostly I've been reading other peoples' blogs and thinking of what I wanted to accomplish with a new blog. I've been on a quest for simplicity and I thought what better way than to do it with the help and community of the blogosphere. So this is the purpose of my blog. To focus in on a simple life, connecting with others who desire the same lifestyle and exchange ideas with those of you out there who are looking for the bigger things in life by embracing the small things in life.

So where will I start and where will I go with this? I'm not sure. It will be as much a surprise for me as it will be for the readers (of whom are very few on Day One!). But I do know where I am starting today.

A lot of my inspiration for this blog and for me personally come from the blog 365 Less Things - Reducing Our Stuff One Day at a Time. It essentially is about getting rid of all the extra stuff that we keep in our lives that we just don't need. I have been doing this almost on a daily basis and I've made 3 trips to Salvation Army and it feels awesome! I have a lot to do still but the fun is in doing it over time, room by room, drawer by drawer as you move through your home. I encourage everyone to try her challenge, even if you don't do it 365 days a year. Try it for a week and see how you start to look at things that you own. It will even change how you consume things because you will take an extra look and wonder how long it will be before you are purging it from your belongings. Do I really need another Pier One candle holder when I already have 5 of them? Probably not. Do I need to keep the 5 that I have considering I only use one? Probably not. So out go the 4 that I don't use. Give to a friend, sell it on eBay, donate it.

For any of you early readers, thanks for visiting! Looking forward to this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment