Sunday, November 7, 2010

Minimalist Gift Giving


A friend of mine went on vacation and brought me back a wonderful gift from the quant town she spent time in. Her comment to me was something along the lines of "I know you're on this minimalism kick so I got you something you could use that wouldn't be clutter." It was homemade soap from Star Lake Soap. What a perfect gift! I could use it everyday, it wouldn't contribute to clutter, and it smelled super awesome. Honey Vanilla. I loved the packaging: just a bar of soap with a brown paper label wrapped around it.

This gift got me thinking about the kind of gifts to give those who are on their way to simplifying their lives. Naturally, food gifts are a great idea (especially homemade)! Soaps or bath salts, tickets to the movies, restaurant gift certificates, or veggies from your garden are a few of my ideas. I can't wait until next year when my bees have made enough honey to provide jars of it to all my friends and family for the holidays.

If anyone has given or received unique gifts that coincide with their minimalist mentality, I'd love to hear your ideas.

3 comments:

  1. I had a party for my birthday recently and asked that people did not give me gifts. Of course, many did, but most were non-clutter gifts including:
    - wine (always a winner with me)
    - an afternoon out to see West Side Story
    - a voucher for a massage and
    - a voucher for a night at a B&B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isabella,
    All of those sound incredible (even all of them in one day)! I may have to email your list to my family as a wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful gift received, Sally! I do a lot of knitting, so like to use bits of yarn to make knitted spa cloths--everyone loves them and request them again for birthdays, etc. I think food gifts are among the sweetest, especially around the holidays. Who wouldn't love home-made choc-chip cookies or home-baked bread or rolls as host/hostess gift? I'm hungry just thinking about it. ;o)

    ReplyDelete